Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Vacation?

I walked into the office today only to realize that I had been away from my desk for exactly one week. Aren't you supposed to feel rested after taking a week's vacation. The trip to Albuquerque went well, but the weather was crazy. 87 degrees when I got there, with a 30-40 mph wind that gusted above 60 a few times. It was so windy that the NCAA suspended play for the day. I had never seen a golf tournament suspended for wind before. The ladies who were playing would, literally, hit a ball on the green and then the wind would blow it off. Crazy!
The 3rd and 4th rounds were wet, periodically stopped for storms, and the temps never got out of the low 50's. It was cold! The weather was so crazy (random hail too) that it was the top story on the local news. Never really got a chance to explore the city, but I really liked the golf course:

As for the webcast, apparently it went really well. I can be a little hard on myself at times, so it was difficult to feel great after talking for 16 hours+ about the same two holes. But, the farther I get away from it, the better the experience rests in my mind. However, I don't have much time to worry. This Friday and Saturday, you can catch my call of the Men's Division 1 Golf Championships from Purdue's Kampen Course. Head to http://www.ncaa.com/ or http://www.golfstat.com/ for the webcast. My partner is the founder of GolfStat, Mark Laesch. The man knows college golf! Times for the stream (weather permitting) are 10-2 / 3-7 EDT on Friday and 9-4 on Sunday.

Coming home from NM was a chore, with two layovers and a total of 12 hours in airports or on planes. But, I made it home in time to get barely enough sleep to wake up for the Indy 500 on Sunday. I wish Mandy could have pulled the double, but I hear a bachelorette party and 500 tailgate = trouble for those of us in the 26-and-older crowd. Weather was perfect and the group had a good time. While my outfit was good by my standards (see the blog post below), Kyle once again was the big winner in terms of finding something that was both funny and strangely appropriate all at the same time.
So, how did I spend my Memorial Day? Well, for the most part, Mandy and I slept all day. It was glorious. We did find time to tidy up a few things around the house and do some nature park exploring with the dog, but napping was the activity du jour. In fact, I think I am still too tired today even after having a "week" off from work. Since when did vacations become draining?

No comments: