Friday, April 4, 2008

Come on little guys!

It’s another rainy day in Indiana, and despite the frost-covered, 30 degree drive to work yesterday morning, it’s starting to look like spring! The little buds have poked their yellow and green heads out of the dirt, and are patiently awaiting a warm sunny day to bloom. If only it would hover around 50, we would know winter is behind us.

Will and I have so many plans for our yard and landscaping this spring/summer, and I’m anxious to get started! Last year, while trying to unravel our hose (something that is surprisingly difficult), we discovered an old flower bed brick edge buried under several inches of gravel in our driveway. For me, this is like finding buried treasure-- remnants of someone else’s time. We are planning to restore the bed this season, and my head is filled with visions of what it must have been years ago. I will also be attempting to plant a vegetable garden this year (stop laughing), and hope to grow our own tomatoes, zucchini, squash and herbs. My grandma Jeannie has been amazingly helpful in this department. She can actually identify each squirrelly plant I have growing in my yard, and help me understand how to care for it—what a rare gift! I hope to have her advice again this year, as I am truly a rookie in this area. Anyone have any tips? I need all the help I can get! We can see traces of areas where these things have grown before in our garden so I think it’s best to try those spots again.

One of my favorite things about living in an old home is trying to imagine what it must have looked and felt liked 50 or 80 years ago. Was the weather warmer this time of year? Were there babies in the house? What did they cook for dinner? No doubt they used our same ancient stove that kicks the temperature up about 15 degrees in the kitchen. Did they plant the huge daylilies that come up each year for us to enjoy? Trip on the same funny floorboards in the dining room? Was the coal shoot unsealed and covered in ash?.... I can't help but wonder.

I love knowing that we get to carry on the legacy of our beautiful home, and each day uphold the traditions that have existed there for decades. The space feels rich in history and in love, and we feel so grateful to be the keepers of the keys. Here’s to a bold new season (right around the corner)!

No comments: