Sunday, October 19, 2008

I'm grateful for_____

Will's parents were so kind to throw us a gathering tonight with our families that celebrated our anniversary and the gift of having eachother. We enjoyed the cool 57 degree breeze, a little birdwatching, a couple rounds of cornhole and some delicious food. The best part is that we got to do it together.

This time of year is always my very favorite-- not just because of the changing leaves and the chilly air (which I love), but because it brings a favorite holiday: Thanksgiving.

I, for one, have tons of thanks to be giving and tons more to be grateful for. And although I try each day to have mini celebrations of gratitude for people and for the meaning I find in the mundane, I love that we set aside a whole day to show the world thanks for all we've got, and to renew our vow of being grateful for whatever that is.

When Will and I first got married, I suggested the idea of keeping a gratitude journal. I'm sure I saw it on Oprah which illicited eye rolling from Will, but no less, we began one. I think we made it about a month actually writing things down, and then moved into verbal "gratefuls," which were less cumbersome and could be done with the lights and glasses off. Four years later, we don't remember every night, but most nights one of us does and a couple teeny things emerge that bring lovely images into our minds before we drift off to sleep. Cheese is usually one of my list-toppers, and who wouldn't want to dream about a hunk of gouda!? Seriously. :)

In fact, I'd like to challenge you to write down five things you're grateful for right now. Stick it on your fridge, next to your bathroom mirror or on a sign to wear around your neck. Either way, if you make this a daily affirmation, you'll find deep, profound gratitude for the most mundane things, which I believe will quickly change the eyes through which you see the world.

With the economy, natural disasters and a political hotbed breweing, never has there been a better time to "think small," as my Real Simple magazine often puts it. Remember to be thankful for the biggies (roof over your head, enduring relationships, your health, dog, etc.) but also let yourself be grateful for whatever you are feeling right at that moment.

Sometimes it's cheese.

And the best thing about a list focused on the small things, Real Simple points out, is that it seems like it could just be endless.

Five things I'm grateful for right now:
1) Time with Will and Grace around our fire-pit after sundown (and that great smokey smell it leaves on my clothes)
2) Finding warm/fuzzy/green boots in my winter storage that I forgot I had
3) Family cooking (anything made from a potato, grandma's deviled eggs, dad's steak and pies for days....)
4) Finding time to watch shows I've saved on my DVR
5) God's good work in my life

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Will and Mandy! Sorry I'm a few days late. To this day, three of the craziest nights of my life have revolved around your wedding...two bachelor parties and the greatest best man speech ever! Classics!