Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Hallow's Eve

Until Thanksgiving, I'm beginning all my posts with gratefuls-- join in people!:
1) Music from Adele-- particularly "Hometown Glory" and "Chasing Pavements"-- what a voice
2) Learning what's best for me in the most unexpected places
3) Leggings (oh yes, you read that one right)
4) Friday nights with trick-or-treaters and a little wine before dinner
5) Time to read my very best girlfriends' emails and notes in the early mornings.
6) Will
7) "True Blood," my new HBO fav
8) Gracie's spirit
9) My mom

Tonight, Will is off doing a broadcast and I am loving a quiet night at home with G. I can't believe we got engaged Halloween five years ago. Time certainly flies. We had Will's BU five year reunion this past wknd and had a blast- even ran into our neighbor! The older we get, the smaller this world grows for sure. 

Plans for the ten year HS reunion are in full swing! We are so excited for the upcoming holidays, and can't wait to share them with our great families and friends. 

We are beginning a program soon with our East 91st Street friends (church peeps) from the "Overflow" series in which we move into our communities to offer aid to people in need (like single moms) in our community. Will and I both feel so blessed to be filled and overflowing with God's love, and can't help but steer that overflow toward people with a need. This love naturally flows into our peers, but channeling it elsewhere is so important.... Fixing their problems is not something we can do, but we can ease a heavy burden for an hour or so when we're welcome. Sometimes that hour can make a big difference.

I will never forget watching my mom, (as a single mom) particularly during my late teens and college years and beyond, work so hard for us and protect us. Although it took me until almost my adulthood to fully understand her sacrifice, I know now all that she gave up to make sure that Kate and I were always well taken care of. I give all the help she gave me back to her these days, but if I can lighten the load of someone in the throws of it all, I'd like to.

Let there be thanksgiving in your lives. It has made all the difference in ours.

PS-- if you haven't already, get out there and vote (for Obama) (oops...did I type that out loud?) :)


No comments: