Monday, October 13, 2008

Can I get a cookie?

Will and I had a great weekend sans any real plans. We walked to B-Ripple Friday night for a little pizza, and then strolled home listening to the crickets, leaves rustling beneath our feet and the PA from BR High School’s football stadium. We love our little neighborhood, and even though it’s...well... Urban, we couldn’t imagine living anywhere else. Saturday morning, Will ran in the Butler Phi Psi ACS 5K, and Grace and I strolled the grounds of Holcomb Gardens and the trails along the canal. When we got back to the finish line, Grace was greeted with the other runners, drank two cups of water from red Solo cups, found a shady spot and laid in the grass on her back panting like she hadn’t been outside all summer.
We spent the rest of the lazy day with football and yard work, and headed out to Rick’s Boatyard for some cocktails and appetizers on the water around dinner time, saw a movie and called it a night. Sunday brought church, more football and a trip to the gym....

I have almost finished my new fav book: At The End of the Game It All Goes Back in the Box. It’s not a long one, but somehow, between several other books, magazines and Sudoku games, I managed to stretch its goodness across the entire summer. The last couple chapters have been about playing the game (of life) with grace, and the trophies we collect throughout our lives. I have been praying about this a lot. We all want some recognition for the work we do; we like it when someone says, Great job, here's a cookie! :) Especially in front of people you’d like to impress. But these things don’t really make any difference in the grand scheme of living richly towards God.
When I work hard and with humility, when I serve as I am called to serve, when I show kindness and forgiveness, I have faith that my soul will get the reward I seek. I have been struggling with this so much in my new job. I really respect the great minds there, but would love to hear a little positive encouragement, and not so much, "Huh Uh." For three years, I was the resource for all things related to my client, and (not gonna lie) I learned to really love the thanks I received for my work. I’m reminded by this book, however, that whatever trophies I collect will eventually tarnish and be forgotten.
The real work I’m doing in my life requires no such praise from my peers. True as it may be, it’s not easy to wrap my heart around that idea. Winning and losing and playing the game must all be done with grace, even when you aren't getting the feedback you want or expect.

No comments: