Friday, July 23, 2010

Oh, Baby, that's ugly.

In keeping with my recent theme of highlighting beloved design spaces, I thought I’d take a second to talk about the serious lack of style in baby nurseries.

Why baby nurseries, you ask? Well, because Will and I are proud to say that we are preparing for the arrival of our first little one- a boy. Boy oh boy. :)

At 19 weeks (and 2 days)(but who’s counting?), we are in full planning mode. I have been so excited to design a new room, that I never anticipated baby bedding, gliders, mobiles, and rugs would all be so….YUCK!

I want to design a room that I could easily move into if I were very short and 8 er so pounds. The bedding should match the tone of bedding I’d buy for myself-- today. I want this little guy to wake up and feel inspired by the light and the beauty that surrounds him. Although since I'm fairly certain he'd be content in a manger, I at least need to feel inspired during my late night feedings. Isn't the nursery just as much for the baby as it is for the mom and dad? ;) If I am handed one more patchwork brown bear quilt, I am going to kick the Babies R Us lady squarely in the kneecaps.

So I’m on the hunt. The hunt for great modern bedding, deliciously designed accessories, and sweet, soft organics that don’t make me want to throw things. We’ve landed on several items (all adult BTW) for the renovation that include rich golds, dark navy blues, bright whites, and clean lines. I found amazing bedding (for, ahem, $400) at laylagrace, but also a cute and way less expensive alternative (dwell studio for target) that may work just as well for something that will ultimately be thoroughly pooped and vomited on. I would like to think that $400 baby bedding has some sort of self cleaning function... like good ovens do.

On second thought, a couple bags of critter cage wood chips might be just as effective (and cuter). Hear that Babies R Us? These are the cries of a desperate woman.

Here are a couple elements we've settled on thus far. Have ideas? Send em my way!


1 comment:

Ryan and Janie said...

Congrats to you both on the pregnancy! You guys will be such great parents. Ditto on the crazy expensive bedding. Everything that I found, that didn't have characters all over it, was at least $400...so I ended up making my own :)