Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Will Haskett World Tour

Happy Phi Kappa Psi Founders Day to one and all!

Okay, so the sentimental feeling probably isn't there for most frequentors of this blog, but this is the "busy time" of the year for me at work, and in the next 48 hours I will be in Houston, Toledo and Chicago to attend some celebrations. Next week it's Birmingham, followed by an extensive stay in Cabo San Lucas. I can taste the tortillas, tequilla and tecate already!

Today though, the adventure begins. Normally, I am not one for blogging from the road, but the fine folks at Hampton Inn are holding tight to their 3:00 p.m. check-in window and don't have a room. But, the business center is lovely!

It's actually been quite an eventful little day. Up at 4:30, to the airport and off at 6:40 to Detroit. To say that the flight was a little bumpy would be an understatement. Remember Stretch Armstrong? I felt like my body was made of that material, and I was put in a paint mixer. We had a triple-clutch landing. First time the wheels got close, gust of wind turned us a bit sideways. Try again, hop, and boom, finally made it down.

But, am I upset? No way. Why? Because life pays you back. Get the unexpected first-class bump on the big flight to Houston (complete with a delightful fake omelette) and a smooth ride into the land of "Do It Big." But, here's the clincher... Land, and I am the 2nd person off the plane. Walk through the terminal, down an elevator into baggage claim.

Ah, baggage claim. The place where you are mystified by people actually behaving even more selfishly than on the plane. Where the art of crowding the front is like you are trying to touch Mick Jagger's leather pants. My favorite is when some poor, small person is trying to lift a 2,000-pound bag in between two people loitering at the carousel. They drag it over the edge, knock the people a few time in the shins, but those people stand their ground. Heaven forbid they see their bag moving at a whopping 4 miles-per-hour from five feet away and can't catch it. 'Oh no, where might it go?!'
Anyways, I digress because I think it's funny. I walk down into baggage claim (first person there) and without breaking stride, my bag is the first one off the belt. I immediately grab it, walk away and then stop. My body actually shut down for 15 seconds from the shock. I had never experienced anything remotely close to that kind of efficiency in an airport. My pants could fall down during my speech tonight and I would still be smiling.
Well, off to double buckle my pants...

No comments: