Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day.... Early

Well, a long layoff without the male voice of the family posting on here. You would expect that in travel and college hoops season. Life is crazy!

But tomorrow, we get to celebrate Valentine's Day, and as much as I shrug off the importance of this day like every other wannabe-macho man, it's nice to have a holiday to really make you think about love and how it has shaped your life. So in that regard, thank you Hallmark! Instead of stimulating the economy and buying a $3.95 folded piece of pink paper, let this be my public Valentine to the love of my life...

I always joke that I wasn't hugged enough as a kid (I'm kidding Mom & Dad!), but my beautiful wife has brought the concept of love and affection to a different level in my life. For every bad day, there is a hug. For every good day, there is a hug. For every normal day, there is a hug. You take those for granted when you are younger and immature. My wonderful wife never has. She fits perfectly in my hug, something we have always noticed over 10+ years of practicing hugs, and it never gets old. Thank you baby, for hugging me.

I look back at pictures of Mandy and I when we were in high school and laugh. What were we thinking? How did I become me? How did she become her? How did we become us? My amazing wife might be the single best judge of character I know. While we have battled through our own lives, developing our sense of self and becoming the people we are today, she has been right there with me. She continues to point out the good and work with the bad because she sees something that maybe I can't see myself. It's taken me a long time to accept that, but I love her for it every day. Thank you baby, for sticking with me.

My wife loves love. It is the aura around her and the bounce in her step. While she is amazed at my ability to stay calm in almost every situation, I am more amazed at her ability to be emotional at the same time. She loves me and she loves cheese. She loves Grace and she loves fresh-cut grass. She loves her family and she loves coffee on Sunday mornings. If their was an ambassador of love, she'd be appointed without a Senate hearing necessary. And in her own way, she has had more of an impact teaching me about love than she'll ever know. Convincing me to get a dog may have been her final exam, because nothing has taught me more about unconditional love like our furry G. Thank you baby, for love.

On our first Valentine's Day date in 1999 we..... ummm..... yeah....... I think we went to Puccinis (safe guess). Either way, here we are now and we would take a meal at Puccinis any day of the week if it meant we would be together. I love my wife more and more each day and am the luckiest guy in the world to share Valentine's Day with her again for the 10th straight year!

No comments: