Thursday, January 8, 2009

My mom, the superhero

Some of you may know my mom. She's a witty, loving, incredibly talented woman, and I've spent my whole 27 years looking up to her. Most people think their mom is great, and I'm no exception. Until yesterday afternoon, however, I never knew how many people shared my view.

Because of the recent financial crisis, my mother was let go from her 12-year position at Xpedex yesterday. I got a call. And then I got a note from her boss, telling of the news. Somehow, he CC'd all 400 folks in her address book, rather than BCC'ing them, and the flood gates opened wide. All day emails poured in to Gary touting her skill and good work. Writing that they'd miss her dearly. All day! Someone even blogged about her departure, which you can read here: http://makeseriously.com/2009/01/re-cindy-wingo/

In part, he writes, "...this is like (sort of…) cutting out the Barista at Starbucks (at least if your experience is like mine here downtown at the Conseco store). Where before you came in to people who knew your name and preferences and who could recommend new drinks or new styles of your favorite drinks, now you just get a person at the register who tells your order to another person without any of your input. You don’t know whether that Americano is a double or triple shot. You don’t know if that Vanilla Latte is using 1% or whole. You don’t know if you’re getting bold or regular. And, not only that, but you don’t know if there are new drinks and there’s no one to ask. What’s the point? I can get that service at the gas station for $.99."

Wow. I don't post this because I'd like to create more buzz or make any more racket than has been made. I do it because I am so proud of the role model I've got. I am proud that I inherited her excitement for life and hope to gain a bit of her incredible attitude. I'm proud that she isn't the type of lady that heads for a dark corner when life goes sour, but faces her fear head on and with courage and the confidence that all she has is all she needs.

Michael Beckwith says that crisis really means crossroads. By letting the world as you know it come to an end, we make room for a new world to be born-- one that is more fulfilling, and leads to a greater reality and purpose always.

No doubt that this next chapter in her life will be a blessing. Thank you all for your prayers and loving support.

No comments: