Sunday, January 25, 2009

Basking in the glow of (our) Copper Harbor

I have an ongoing love affair with my house...something that those who are close to me know well. I love that it shelters my family from the frigid, howling wind we can hear whistling in the attic when the winter comes, and that Grace can always find a cool spot in the basement to lye on during the hottest summer days. I feel sad when I see an old broken copper pipe go or when our toilet starts growling...and I rejoice when an odd tulip pops up someplace unexpected.

Inside, I obsess over paint colors, pillow covers, shelf paper, lamp shades, finding the perfect grip strips to keep your little wool rug from turning into a surf board the minute you step on it....

This week, my good friend Ashley and I were perusing the PB spring lines and were so inspired by the brilliant yellows and oranges that we decided to do a little painting. Fortunately, Ash (who has just moved into her new home) found several cans of leftover paint from the previous owners in her basement, and was generous enough to lend me a gallon, making this the best no-money makeover yet!

The walls of the dining room are now a lovely coral color called Copper Harbor by Sherwin Williams. Although I lucked into it, I still got stuck playing with the Sherwin Williams paint color visualizer for an hour or so the other day-- how fun!

We had the original hardwood trim which I also (gasp) painted white. I had to have a glass of wine first. I have been trying to fight the urge to do this for three years, hearing that the trim was so valuable bla bla. I'm over it. And thrilled with the results :) One thing led to another and the hallways got painted as well.

Have a look! And then come visit to see it yourself!






1 comment:

Simple Creative Inspiration said...

I love the new color and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the painted white trim! I think its our generation (so our old realtor says!) that wants to paint the trim white. . . we gasped a bit about ours too - but ultimately its perfect now! Congrats - it looks beautiful!