Monday, April 13, 2009

Clean the oven, rejoice and repeat

Today, I am pretending to be a housewife.
I'm channeling my inner Jill Zarin, and it's fabulous (okay, think Jill on a much smaller, more Midwestern scale). The past six months have been chocked full of cancelled doctor appointments, rescheduled oil changes, declined party invites, postponed paper work and completely neglected dog walks. I have a stack of magazines unsorted since December, overflowing half-eaten mail (thank you, Grace) in my little red leather slot, old pudding in the fridge, half a dozen mud-covered tennis balls in my beige back seat, laundry for days, hair balls for months and no time whatsoever. 

Truly, my calendar is FULL of pink ink, and still all I do is work, work, work. Now let me be clear-- I am not complaining. I am beyond grateful to have a job (and a good one at that), but I am beat, exhausted, dizzy some days with the amount on my plate. 

So today I took a day. (pause for deep breath)
I took a day to catch up on all (okay, some) of the stuff I've let fall by the wayside including ...myself. That's right, people, Wynonna Judd and I are puttin' ourselves back on the list! No I don't mean shedding "bills," I mean taking a little time just for me..to do, well, whatever. 

Today I took appointments, ran errands, made it home in time to cook a delicious lunch for my husband-- a lunch for which I (gasp) set the table! I washed the sheets, scrubbed the floors, unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, headed out for another appointment, stopped for coffee (could have been a Bentley I was so happy), made it home in time to exercise with the pup, and enjoy much needed family time. 

Could this be real? I am stressless, the house is spotless, and even the dog is smiling. What a truly fantastic day! The Daylight Savings time has even helped trick me into thinking there is actually more day left; that I beat the clock, and that with a little sunshine past 5 comes found time... every modern woman's holy grail.

New fantasy found: The Housewife.

Now if anyone knows anyone (or is someone) who'd like to pay me for running my own errands, exercising my dog and doing my own laundry, let's talk. I am available 7 days a week for the rest of my life. 

No comments: