Monday, August 25, 2008

Times they are a-changin'

The windows are wide open tonight and the first few breezes of cool air are drifting in (deep breath)...smells like fall is on its way. We have had stifling temperatures the past couple weeks and my poor grass, garden, dog, etc. can't seem to get enough water or shade. As I turned the corner down our little city block tonight, leash in hand, I saw my neighbors had planted some deeply burnt orange mums and hung their fall wreath. It made me smile the rest of the block.

Oh, how I love the fall... I love school supplies, super sharp pencils in particular, the latest Trapper Keepers, a new season of The Hills, Pumpkin everything, hot coffee, apple candles, and cozy clothes. I imagine that in a place where fall is always the season everyone drives Grand Wagoneers with sheep slip covers on their seats, and they all use Nutmeg, have red reading glasses, a big dog and wear clogs. In my mind, this is how I envision myself, of course. :)

The fall always brings great things for me; so many big life changes. When Will and I were on vacation this year, we joked that everything is surprisingly "normal" for this time of season. Alas, I spoke too soon. We returned to find lots of changes are occurring, and I pray this year, like all the others, will turn out great.

My boss shared with me some wise words this week, which I believe to be true: the best skill, he said, that we can each have is the ability to adapt to change. It will always serve us-- in our work, in our marriage, in our families and in our beliefs....

Each year when I watch the red and gold leaves drop from the trees with great excitement, I remember how thrilled I was in the spring to watch them pop from tiny green buds and burst forth onto their branch. It reminds me that this change is good, and so can all change be good.

Grace and I are going to finish the chapter in our book, light a "mulled cider" candle, kick off the AC and pick the coziest blanket we can find to ring in the new season... even if this cool only lasts a couple days.

1 comment:

Kyle & Amanda said...

I too was excited for a new season of The Hills, but it has been extremely disappointing so far. I think there might be 12 minutes of actual show, the rest is long commerical breaks and other worthless MTV crap. As for the show itself, it's been rather boring, but you know what? I'll keep watching. It's my guilty pleasure.